Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It was wet, windy and my belly was full of T-bone steak, but I still managed to force myself to go for a run last night. Just a short one, but still a run. My 214 lbs body has never felt soooo heavy, my oversize heart was struggling, my muscles were burning as my lungs couldn't get enough oxygen in. I felt I was about to faint. All this after quarter of a mile. Although I recovered slightly, it felt bad until I was back home and in the hot shower.

I started wondering: Is it good for the body to go for a run with the belly full of food? I know you can get a side stitch but that was not my problem yesterday. Rather, this overwhelming feeling that there wasn't enough blood in my body to keep it going.  So I figured, perhaps the digestive system needs a certain amount of blood, at least the first hour or so after a heavy meal (o.k. I ate three plates more than I should have).  Then, if you go for a run at the same time, the "running muscles" must compete with the digestive system for the blood available. My question is, can this competition be damaging for the body?

No comments:

Post a Comment