Monday, March 12, 2012

Always got time for training?

My tri group had an extra swim session on Saturday morning, with a guest coach who had the challenging task of trying to improve our technique. Due to the nature of this session – short drills, lot of stops to listen to explanations etc – it was in no way very demanding physically. As I was driving home afterwards, I therefore decided that I had to find the time to put in another training later that day. The weather was horrendous, or to put it more positively, it was a glorious day for indoor training.  I have a bike trainer ready at home and there is a gym close by with tons of treadmills, so there shouldn’t be any problems.  You know what they say: if you want it, you can always find some 30 or 40 minutes for training.

I got home to learn that my younger kid had suddenly got sick and was throwing up like crazy.  About half an hour later the older kid started doing the same. My wife had to attend some fundraiser-charity thing, so I got to spend a “quality daddy-day” with my boys.

I won’t go into any details, but I spent the day sprinting with the kids to the bathroom, cleaning up the mess when they missed the target, and making sure they got enough fluid and had something in their stomachs for the next round of throwing up.

In the late afternoon, when my wife was back and the kids finally started to feel a bit better, I perhaps should have gone for my training.  But I simply couldn’t bring myself to do it. I was feeling strangely ill and was convinced that my stomach would strongly object any attempt to train. Instead, I sat down in front of the TV and watched cross country skiing and biathlon, and tried not to think about how far behind schedule I have fallen with the training for my first full marathon.

They may say that you can always find some 30 or 40 minutes for training. But they are wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment