Monday, March 5, 2012

I surrender - I'm eating healthier now!

I never thought this would happen to me. Never. But it is official nevertheless – I’ve started my own personal healthy-eating campaign! Not that I’m going to interfere with other people’s eating habits, this campaign is aimed at myself only.

I actually believe that my diet is quite normal; it consists of typical “home food” – much of it quite healthy – with the occasional sweet treat and junk food days. However, in later years the sweet treats and junk food days have become more and more frequent, resulting in an ever increased pressure on my bathroom scale, despite my rather regular training.

For many years I have followed the rule of not letting my sports spoil my love for eating.  But although I find it hard to admit, my opinion on this seems to be starting to change. I have a few races lined up in the next eight months or so. A handful of long-distance cross country ski races, one aquathlon, one duathlon, a couple of short triathlons, possibly a half-Ironman distance triathlon, an uphill bike race, and my first full marathon run.  As I have said in earlier posts, I’m not a very competitive-minded man, so where I finish on the results lists is not a big issue for me. I am, however, some 30 lbs overweight so my worry is that if I go though all the races, plus all the training required, carrying so much extra weight, it might be damaging for my ankles, knees, hips, back etc. Hence the improved diet. As an added bonus, I've been told that each pound I lose will make my marathon time one minute faster.

I’m not turning into a fanatic though, and I’m certainly not going to be on of those look-at-me-I’m-eating-soooo-healthy people, who substitute their lunch for some slimy, green semi-liquid which looks like something has been dead in it for months. Smaller/fewer portions and less yeast will be my main focus, at least during the first stage of this campaign. The plan is to later decrease my consumption of sugar, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go. After that my diet will be varied and balanced. I believe that the middle road is healthier that fanaticism in all aspects of life – including the diet.

1 comment: